Medical coding and billing play a crucial role in the healthcare industry, yet their significance is often overlooked. These professionals, working behind the scenes, are integral to the smooth operation of healthcare practices, primarily in the records billing department of institutions such as hospitals and clinics.
1. Education Requirements:
Entering this field requires an associate’s degree and certification. Numerous online institutions specialize in medical billing and coding, offering certifications, associate’s degrees, and credit integration into bachelor’s degree programs.
2. Featured Online Schools with Financial Aid:
- Duration: 4 months with 12 months of course access
- Course Cost: $3,699
- Certification: Certificate
- CareerStep’s online Medical Billing and Coding courses are designed for rapid completion, providing essential skills for national certification exams. Military spouses can benefit from the MyCAA grant, covering up to $4,000 in program expenses.
2.2. Berkeley College:
- Financial Aid Recipients: 70%
- Main Campus: New York, NY
- Berkeley College offers programs preparing students to handle extensive medical insurance and billing information. After completing the degree or certificate, students are equipped for national certification. The college provides on-campus classes in New York and New Jersey, as well as online courses.
2.3. Bryant & Stratton College:
- Financial Aid Recipients: 82.00%
- Main Campus: Buffalo, NY
- Bryant & Stratton College’s billing and medical coding program caters to detail-oriented individuals. The program covers medical terminology, standard code assignment, coding in the healthcare industry structure, and regulations on patient confidentiality. Certification from this program enhances earning potential.
2.4. Cambridge College of Healthcare and Technology:
- Financial Aid Recipients: 90.00%
- Main Campus: Delray Beach, FL
- This college focuses on helping students find a place in the healthcare community through accessible online billing and coding programs. It offers 20 different specialty coding certifications, providing comprehensive knowledge of popular medical coding formats.
2.5. Central Maine Community College:
- Financial Aid Recipients: 47.00%
- Main Campus: Auburn, Maine
- The online medical coding and electronic health records degree at Central Maine Community College provides students with a strong foundation in various coding formats, preparing them for careers in hospitals, clinics, and insurance companies.
2.6. Cosumnes River College:
- Financial Aid Recipients: 3.00%
- Main Campus: Sacramento, CA
- The Health Information Coding Specialist Certificate at Cosumnes River College prepares students for medical coding classifications, offering a blend of health information, business, and computer information systems.
2.7. Cowley Community College:
- Financial Aid Recipients: 40.00%
- Main Campus: Arkansas City, KS
- Cowley Community College’s medical coder program offers flexibility with classes that students can attend according to their schedules. The program is skill-focused, providing graduates with essential abilities for success in the healthcare sector.
2.8. Dakota State University:
- Financial Aid Recipients: 75.00%
- Main Campus: Madison, SD
- The Health Care Coding Certificate at Dakota State University focuses on industry standards like ICD and CPT coding. Graduates can enter the workforce immediately or pursue additional credentials through associate’s and bachelor’s degree programs in Health Information Technology.